My weapon of choice

As you may already know, I already have a particular setup in mind for experimenting. I'll tell you what are my weapons of choice and explain why I picked them. Let's get right into it.

Why did I choose the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+?

I'm a big fan of the Raspberry Pi computers. From the day I worked on a Pi Zero for a project, I love this platform. In short, it's cheap, compact, versatile and can be customized to unimaginable extents.
The Pi 3 is a credit-card sized computer, consisting of just processors and ports on top of a circuit. The processor uses an AMD architecture. Storage is managed by a microSD card and there's 1GB of RAM. As for connections, there are 4 USB ports, an HDMI port, an 3.5mm audio jack, a microUSB port for power, and a very interesting 40-pin connector to attach various elements (like a camera). I've annotated the below image (from Google) so you can have a better idea of the Pi. Click on it to enlarge it:
You might ask yourself, how does a Pi work? How do you control it? The Pi does not have an operating system out of the box: you need to install one on the SD card you'll insert in it. The Raspberry Foundation surely has their own OS, called Raspbian, but that's not what an ethical hacker would like. Instead, we can use the very interesting AMD version of Kali Linux from Offensive Security -- my personal choice -- or Parrot OS, BackBox, Pentoo Linux, DEFT Linux and so on. All of these are pentesting-oriented operating systems, built with cyber security experts and ethical hackers in mind. Some come with pre-installed tools, like Kali, while others require you to download them. Some also work without any additional plugins.

Most operating systems are interacted with via a terminal. This is where the USB ports come in: you use them to connect a keyboard and optionally a mouse to provide input. As you also need to see what's happening with our Pi, we can connect it to a monitor via the HDMI port. However, as mobility is very important to me, I'll be using a different setup: communicating wirelessly with the Pi via SSH (Secure Shell) from my phone or laptop. As you'll see in another post coming soon, this setup will prove to be way more efficient and adapted to my uses.

This is not what a final field-ready setup looks like. We still need a few more components, like a packet-injection capable wifi adapter and a battery, for example. I'll be writing a detailed list of minimum requirements for an operational Raspberry Pi-based setup. You can subscribe via email or follow me on Twitter if you want to know about my future posts. See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pixie-Dust Wifi Attack: Theory & Practice

How to capture a WPA handshake

Getting started in scripting