Unboxing the Raspberry Pi 3

I have finally received my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. Before talking about my intentions and potential uses with the Pi, let's open it and see what comes in the box:
That was quick. No, there's nothing else than the Pi itself in the box. No cables, no adapter, no case, nothing. Straight to the point.

Now into more interesting matters. Why did I want a Raspberry Pi? How can it help me in my work? I'll explain.

A few months ago my friend had a project for which he needed to build a smart home model. To represent the smartphone-controlled lighting system, he used an Arduino circuit which let him turn the lights on via Bluetooth, on his phone. That's how I discovered -- and immediately loved -- programmable circuits. I made some research on the web and quickly found about the Raspberry Pi, a more powerful and versatile alternative to the Arduino. I was baffled by the work a good hacker can achieve with it. After reading a lot of documentation and viewing some videos, I was convinced I needed a Pi.

And how do I intend to use it? My first project, like most ethical hackers, is to gain unauthorized access to a wifi network. By using Kali Linux, a suitable wifi adapter, and the Pi, it should be pretty easy. However, I would still need a computer to control the Pi, and you might argue that all this work can be done on a laptop using the same tools. You are absolutely right, but in most scenarios, a hacker needs to be on the move. Being able to perform such tasks simply with the Pi and your smartphone gives a considerable advantage to the hacker. You read correctly, the Pi and you smartphone -- no need for a laptop. In short, this is possible thanks to SSH (Secure Shell) which allows a connection between your phone and the Raspberry. What's even more enthralling is the ability to use a Rubber Ducky USB stick to automate tasks -- you won't need a smartphone or PC anymore to control the Pi. Sometimes, portability and low-profile are crucial characteristics to take into consideration.

Quick recap: keep in mind that the Raspberry Pi is nothing else than a computer. It has a CPU, it has RAM, it has ports, just like any PC on the market. So what you can do on a PC, you can do on the Pi (yes, for information, you can write a Word document on it). The huge difference that makes it so versatile and multipurpose is the ability to choose the OS you like, work on it and change it anytime, because it's stored on the microSD card. For instance, I can work with Kali Linux for pentesting then swap SD cards and work with Raspbian OS for more traditional tasks (eg. entertainment).

I'm writing a complete tutorial on installing Kali Linux on the Pi, so make sure to come back. You can check the side menu (top-right button) for useful links. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. I will be pleased to answer. See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pixie-Dust Wifi Attack: Theory & Practice

How to capture a WPA handshake

Getting started in scripting